BALA TOWN suffered their first defeat of the 2020/21 JD Cymru Premier campaign as they fell to a shock 2-1 home defeat to Haverfordwest County.

Following their abandoned mid-week tie against The New Saints, which ended 2-2 but will have to be replayed due to a floodlight failure, Bala were back at home just three days later to face Haverfordwest.

After two wins and two draws (one of which is now null and void v TNS) in the league prior to the encounter at Maes Tegid on Saturday, Colin Caton's side will have been favourties to come out on top once more.

But, the visitors battled until the very end and were rewarded for their perseverance to pick up their first three points of the season.

The Lakesiders started the game well, with man of the moment Will Evans going close with a header early on.

Ollie Shannon then came close, when a Nathan Peate header back across the box from a corner fell at his feet and he hit his curling shot onto the crossbar.

County thought they had taken the lead on ten minutes, but the goal was ruled out for offside.

It was Bala who did eventually break the deadlock on 25mins.

Sean Smith put in a teasing cross towards captain Chris Venables who was shoved in the back by Scott Tancock and the referee awarded a penalty. Venables stepped up and converted cooly into the top right corner for 1-0.

But, the visitors did find an equaliser before half time, thanks to a good spell of pressure in Bala's half of the pitch.

Their first goal came when Dan Summerfield played in an absolutely brilliant ball over the top to find the run of Danny Williams who headed the ball over Alex Ramsay for 1-1.

In the second half, Bala came out strong again - Venables with a great chance following a miscommunication in the Bluebirds defence, but he couldn't capitalise.

Clear-cut chances were few and far between as the game looked to be heading towards a draw finish.

With 10 minutes left on the clock, the Lakesiders went looking for a winner, although the visiting defence stood strong and held out the pressure.

Evans had another good chance to hand Bala the lead with minutes remaining, but his header from Steven Leslie’s cross went wide of the post.

After two minutes of added time, the visitors came close to the winner, but a shot from the edge of the box was dragged wide of the post.

But then with seconds remaining, Haverfordwest had a counter attack with a three on two situation on the break away, as Kieran Lewis led the attack, and ended up passing to Jack Wilson who cut back inside on his right foot and curled a great effort in past Ramsay in goal.

Joy for the visitors who snatched their first three points of the season, but disappointment for the Lakesiders who were just not good enough on the day.

Bala Town will now look to bounce back away at Flint Town United tonight (7.45pm kick off).