A BUSY schedule of JD Cymru Premier matches ensued over the weekend, as top-flight football resumed in Wales.

Football at all levels was put on hold due to Coronavirus restrictions in December - that included the JD Cymru Premier’s 2020/21 campaign.

But with the top-flight granted ‘elite status’ once again some weeks ago, all twelve clubs have now returned to the field and the first week of action certainly didn’t disappoint.

The top-flight officially resumed on Tuesday March 2 when Newtown beat Penybont 2-0 thanks to goals from Tyrone Ofori and James Davies.

On Saturday, a full set of fixtures went ahead for the first time in 2021 as six matches were played all in all.

Champions Connah’s Quay closed the gap on league-leaders The New Saints (TNS) to just one point as they came from behind to beat a spirited Newtown side who were playing their second match in less than a week.

Alex Fletcher put the visitors ahead on 18 minutes and things went from bad to worse for the Nomads when attacker Jamie Insall was sent off just five minutes later.

But, they didn’t let their heads drop and responded to that dismissal immediately by equalising through George Horan just four minutes later.

The eventual winner came courtesy of veteran forward Michael Wilde, 37, who turned the tie on its head and hit his 10th goal in just 13 appearances.

That win sees Andy Morrison’s side sit just one point behind against top-of-the-table TNS with a game in hand.

That is because The Saints dropped points in their 0-0 draw against Bala Town - but it could have been much worse for Scott Ruscoe’s side on the day.

Bala were seemingly denied a stonewall penalty in that encounter which would have been a real game-changing moment.

Great chances fell for both sides but neither could find the all-important breakthrough.

Another huge talking point from the weekend came as TNS announced the departure of both Ruscoe and assistant Steve Evans on Sunday.

Elsewhere in the league, Caernarfon Town and Aberystwyth Town returned to action in a thrilling match which ended in a 2-2 draw at the Oval.

Caernarfon Town (yellow) and Aberystwyth Town do battle. PIC: Colin Ewart.

Caernarfon Town (yellow) and Aberystwyth Town do battle. PIC: Colin Ewart.

Caernarfon (yellow) and Aberystwyth do battle. PIC: Colin Ewart

In a game full of twists and turns, John Owen had put the Seasiders ahead via a stunning half-volley just before the break.

The home side will have thought they had won it late on thanks to a goal each from Jake Bickerstaff in the 84th minute and Sion Bradley just two minutes later.

But, it wasn’t to be as Jamie Veale secured a point for Aber through a brilliant 96th minute free-kick.

Barry Town United maintained their foothold in the top four as they picked up a 1-0 victory at Cefn Druids thanks to a David Cotterill penalty.

Penybont bounced back from their defeat at Newtown to stay in fifth place with a 1-0 win away to Flint Town United, Nathan Wood’s early strike proving to be difference.

The JD Cymru Premier’s surprise package of the season to date; Haverfordwest County, also maitained their push for a top six finish with a 1-0 win over Cardiff Met Uni.

The Bluebirds, who announced the signing of former Wales international defender Jazz Richards over the weekend, picked up the three points thanks to a Jack Williams penalty.