NEWTOWN and Flint Town United picked up two of the most impressive victories in the weekend’s JD Cymru Premier fixtures.

Newtown crushed Haverfordwest County 5-1 and Flint Town United began to creep away from the bottom of the table with a 1-0 win at Aberystwyth Town.

The FAW has confirmed that no relegation from or promotion to the top-flight will take place this season, meaning all 12 clubs in the JD Cymru Premier are safe.

However, nobody will want to finish bottom of the pile regardless and both of these clubs did themselves a favour in that respect over the weekend.

Flint came away with all three points from Aber thanks to a Josh Amis goal some 20 minutes from time. That condemned Aber to 11th place in the table (or fifth in the split table) as Flint moved above them.

Newtown closed the gap between them and Haverfordwest (7th) to just five points after putting five goals past them at Latham Park on Saturday.

Tyron Ofori, Lifumpa Mwandwe and Shane Sutton put the home side into a commanding 3-0 lead at half time.

Mwandwe then struck again before Corey Shephard pulled one bac for the Bluebirds. The in-form Jordan Evans then scored once more to secure an impressive victory for the Robins.

Elsewhere on Saturday, The New Saints remained top of the league thanks to a narrow victory over a spirited Penybont. Louis Robles 12th goal of the season just after half time being the only difference between the two sides on the day.

Connah’s Quay remain on the same points as the Saints (63) with a 1-0 win of their own, over Barry Town United. Veteran forward Michael Wilde, 37, scoring his 13th goal in 18 league outings for the Nomads this season.

Third-placed Bala Town humbled Caernarfon Town 5-2 in the Gwynedd Derby.

Having lost to the Cofis at home last time out, the Lakesiders made no mistake this time around, although it wasn’t an all-round straightforward affair.

Skipper Chris Venables put Bala ahead before Jake Bickerstaff made it 1-1. Caernarfon were then ahead just before the break when former Bala man Mike Hayes converted a penalty.

In the second half, the tone of the game completely changed in Bala’s favour.

Defender Jonny Spittle equalised just before the hour mark before Will Evans put Bala in front.

Venables then added a double before Evans bagged himself a brace in stoppage time to complete the rout.

Finally, Cardiff Met secured a vital 2-1 victory over Cefn Druids, Eliot Evans and Matthew Chubb on target for the Archers.