A LARGE crowd was treated to a superb game at Central Park on Saturday.

Huws Gray Alliance frontrunners Caernarfon Town were the visitors to Denbigh and only a last gasp penalty stopped the hosts from claiming victory.

The game had high significance, with Denbigh trailing the Cofis by seven points ahead of kick-off and they had a game in hand over the leaders.

Denbigh were under pressure during the opening moments and Caernarfon's new signing Shaun Cavanagh saw his header clatter the crossbar with keeper Jon Hill-Dunt beaten.

However, it was Denbigh who then who had the better of the early exchanges with Kristian Pierce firing a great drive that left visiting keeper Ramsey rooted to the spot, but the ball hit the upright.

The home Town took the lead on nine minutes.

Craig Pritchard dribbled into the box and laid on a deft pass for Warren Duckett to fire home from 10 yards.

The Reds continued to pile on the pressure and they had several chances to extend their lead.

Pritchard was involved again as his shot was deflected over for a corner, which came to nothing.

Caernarfon had their chances at the other end, but the solid duo of Liam Smith and Ben Nash kept them at bay.

Hill-Dunt was forced into an excellent save when he had to dive low to his right to parry Cavanagh’s shot away for a corner.

As the game continued, both teams enjoyed good patches.

Pritchard, Matty Cook and Josh Davies were involved in some intricate play, but Davies’ shot failed to trouble Ramsey.

On 35 minutes Denbigh were forced into an early substitution when goalscorer Duckett limped off to be replaced by Andrew Swarbrick.

Swarbrick was straight into the action and he broke free, only to be fouled by Rhys Roberts, who received a yellow card.

Just on half-time and a low cross was blocked by Ben Nash with what he claimed was the top of his chest.

Caernarfon thought otherwise and appealed for a penalty, with referee Jenkins and his assistant deciding the block was a handball offence.

Nathan Craig scored from the spot.

After a stern team talk, Denbigh went out on the attack when the second half got underway.

They reclaimed the lead almost immediately. Swarbrick's shot was only half saved by Ramsey and the ball hit the net to give Denbigh a 2-1 lead.

Swarbrick had a second opportunity straight after, but this time Ramsey saved well.

The home Town continued to pile on the pressure and they went further in front seven minutes later.

Some great play by Gareth Partridge, Pritchard and Davies saw Pritchard in space and he able to fire home to make it 3-1.

Caernarfon responded by making a double substitution, with Kevin Roberts and Shaun Cavanagh leaving the field, to be replaced by Jay Gibbs and Kevin Lloyd. The changes worked almost immediately when Hill-Dunt was forced to thwart a Caernarfon break by diving at the feet of the Cofi forwards.

The pressure was now on Denbigh and a goalmouth scramble saw shots being blocked at close range by Town’s defenders.

The ball broke to right back Joe Williams, who hit a fierce drive through a bunch of players to make it 3-2 on 61 minutes.

Denbigh had the better chances after this, but they seemed to take too many touches at times and allowing Ramsey to save from close range.

Things got better for the hosts when Kristian Pierce collected the ball in midfield and he was fouled by Rhys Roberts after a great run.

Referee Jenkins had no alternative but to produce another yellow card for Roberts and he had to leave the field.

Denbigh produced further chances, with Partridge, Pritchard and Swarbrick having excellent opportunities to wrap the game up, but these were missed.

Into injury time and Joe Culshaw chased back into his own area with a Caernarfon forward.

As they both challenged for the ball, referee Jenkins felt Culshaw impeded the forward and pointed to the penalty spot, much to the anguish of the Denbigh team and supporters.

Up stepped Nathan Craig to shoot past Hill-Dunt and make it 3-3.