THE lads from Memorial Park Fields will want to forget all about the second half of their weekend clash at high-flying Holywell Town.

Ruthin Town were well in the contest at the midway point of their testing Huws Gray Alliance trip to Holywell Town.

It was still goalless at the interval and Chris Williams' visitors were looking good bets to extend their impressive unbeaten run.

However, the Wellmen came out firing after the break and they fired in five second half goals to move within four points of league leaders Caernarfon Town.

“Ruthin are a good side and don't get beat like that by anyone these days,”

said Holywell Town boss John Haseldin.

After the goalless opening period, the Wellmen were awarded a penalty a couple of minutes into the second half.

Steve Thomas was felled in the box and the referee duly pointed to the penalty spot.

Sam Jones fired the spot kick beyond Ruthin keeper Dylan Jones to break the deadlock.

Things got even better for the high-flyers when two goals in the space of 60 seconds saw them seal their 10th win of the campaign.

Matty Harvey doubled the Wellmen's lead on 63 minutes when he headed home a great ball in from the right.

Then, just a minute later, Sam Jones increased the home Town's lead with a well taken goal.

Into the final 10 minutes and Holywell bagged an additional two goals to boost their victory tally.

Sam Jones was able to complete his hat-trick with five minutes left to play.

A great ball from Steve Thomas allowed Jones to break free, before rounding keeper Dylan Jones to fire the home.

Holywell then completed the scoring with a couple of minutes of the match left to play.

Substitute Marc Gunther headed the ball home to make it 5-0.



DOUBLE-CHASING Ruthin Town Reserves were able to shake off the cobwebs.

Ruthin went into their Wrexham Area League Reserves' Division Cup quarter-final having not had a competitive match since the beginning of December.

Town started well, having the majority of the possession and constantly looking to break Castell Alun’s deep lying defensive line.

The breakthrough came from a corner five minutes before half time.

Tom Dyer delivered a very dangerous ball across the six-yard box and Tom Watkin-Jones met it at the near post, glancing it towards goal to give the keeper no chance.

The second half begun with Ruthin coming out in stronger fashion and it wasn’t long before they doubled their lead.

Some good link up play down the left hand side put Adam Harvey through and while his shot was stopped on the line, Tom Watkin-Jones poked in the rebound.

The third goal came 10 minutes later and it was that man Watkin-Jones on target again.

He skipped through two defenders and with the keeper rushing out, Watkin-Jones calmly scooped the ball over his head and into the top corner.

Ruthin's fourth goal came from a corner and another good delivery from Dyer saw Connor Lloyd lose his man to head home.