A SPATE of chimney fires has prompted firefighters to remind people of the importance of following fire safety measures.

A fire crew from Benllech was called to a fire confined to the chimney, at Pentraeth, Anglesey, at 11.31pm, on Saturday.

The fire was said to have been caused by a "fouled flue," and was dealt with by 12.24am.

On the same night, another chimney fire happened in Upper Denbigh Road, St Asaph, when radiated heat from the chimney spread to timbers.

One crew from Rhyl was sent, and firefighters used a thermal imaging and a 'Scotty back pack' extinguisher.

Two square metres of plaster boards and joists were affected when the fire started at 12.58pm and was out by 1.56pm.

A semi-detached house, at Fairfield Road, Queensferry, was also affected by a chimney fire, between 9.16am and 9.35am, on Sunday, March 31.

A crew from Deeside was sent, and the property owner was advised to have the chimney swept.

The North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is now encouraging residents to always get their chimneys swept.

Justin Evans, Head of Community Safety, said: “I would like to remind the public about the importance of keeping yourself, and your family safe by reducing the risk of fires.

"All chimneys should be swept on a regular basis. It costs less than £100 to have your chimney swept." the service has issued the following advice:

All chimneys and flue-ways should be cleaned and checked to ensure they are free from debris and in full working order.

A blocked or defective chimney can cause both chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. It is important to employ a professional qualified chimney sweep certified by the National Association of Chimney Sweeps.

Regular maintenance of a chimney depends on the fuel burned – for oil or gas, a chimney should be swept once a year,

Bituminous - coal twice a year, wood up to four times a year and smokeless coals at least once a year.

Not burning wet wood is also advised.

When heating homes it is important to purchase the correct size appliance for the room - an appliance which is too large will never be used hot enough to volatise all of the fuel. Wood and unburned fuel will pass up the chimney as smoke and condense within the flue as extremely flammable creosote.

Justin added: “To reduce the risk of fire in your home, always make sure embers are properly put out before you go to bed and use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers.

“If the worst should happen, a smoke alarm can give you the extra time you need to escape in a house fire - make sure you test yours regularly.”