TWO people have been rescued from a fire caused by unattended cooking at a house in Ruthin.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service sent crews in response to a smoke detector sounding at the property on Railway Terrace at 9.30pm on Friday, November 22.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and rescued two people. They had suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to hospital by ambulance.

They have since been discharged.

Ruthin Fire Station manager Mike Edwards said "This incident demonstrates the importance of fitting working smoke detectors and is a reminder that cooking food should never be left unattended."