BALA TOWN absolutely cruised into the third round of the FAW Welsh Cup by putting 17 goals past Brymbo.

The JD Cymru Premier side were hosting their Wrexham-based opponents, who play their football two leagues below in the Ardal North West League, at Maes Tegid on Saturday.

And their class told out on the pitch, despite Brymbo’s tireless effort and spirited performance.

Bala skipper Chris Venables, who was top scorer in the top-flight once more last season, opened the Welsh Cup scoring with a penalty after Will Evans was fouled eight minutes in.

Brymbo then pulled off a shock equaliser some five minutes later - Michael Thompson's deflected effort beating Alex Ramsay in the Bala goal.

It wasn't all-square for long however as the Lakesiders went back in front just three minutes later. Paul Rutherford intercepts the ball in the Brymbo box and squared it to Bradley Bauress who made it 2-1.

The same player was then on hand to give Bala a two-goal cushion less than a minute later, dinking the ball over the keeper.

It was four just 25mins in when Kieran Smith, who made his 150th Bala Town appearance in last week's 1-0 win over Aberystwyth, found the back of the net.

Will Evans then scored before Venables and Smith added their second goal of the game each and Ollie Shannon made it eight before the break.

Anyone who thought Bala Town were about to step off the gas in the second half were sorely mistaken as they netted a further nine goals.

Venables helped himself to hat-trick on 52mins before Rutherford made it double figures for the home team moments later.

Danny Walker-Rice then bagged his first goal for the club with a brilliant volley before goals from Venables scored once more and then converted a penalty on 74mins.

Bauress then got his hat-trick before Dave Edwards, Walker-Rice and Steven Leslie completed the emphatic scoreline.

Bala were ruthless but Brymbo's efforts must be commended - they never gave up, pushing to the very end - being slightly unlucky not to get another goal or two.