BALA TOWN moved up to third as they handed reigning JD Cymru Premier champions Connah's Quay Nomads' their second loss in as many matches on Saturday afternoon.

A free-kick from former Wales international Dave Edwards helped the Lakesiders onto a hard-fought but deserved 1-0 win away at the home of the champions who had been reduced to 10-men - again for the second game running.

Both sides started off evenly matched with no real cutting edge chance falling to either side in the opening 10 minutes or so.

The first real chance fell to the Nomads' Jamie Insall but Nathan Peate and goalkeeper Alex Ramsay did well to quash the danger.

Veteran defender George Horan then went close for the home side via a header before Bala midfielder Will Evans went close with a free-kick.

The tie swung in Bala's favour 25 minutes in when Horan was dismissed from the field for a last-man foul on Edwards.

The former Premier League player then stepped-up to take the resulting free-kick and placed it perfectly into the top right-hand corner to give Bala the lead.

Bala captain Chris Venables went close to doubling his side's advantage just before half time, but his effort rattler the crossbar.

In the second half, Ramsay was called into action to deny Jamie Mullan a goal before also doing well to push a Byron Harrison header past the post.

Declan Poole's ferocious volley was also saved well by Ramsay as the Nomads tried desperately to get that equaliser.

Kieran Smith and Paul Rutherford were looking dangerous on the break for Bala Town, but just couldn't quite find that second goal to put the result beyond doubt.

The final chance of the match fell to Chris Sang, right at the death, but Quay goalkeeper Oliver Byrne produced a fantastic save to keep the ball out of the net.

This was a third straight league win for Colin Caton's Bala Town side who had beat Aberystwyth Town and Haverfordwest County 1-0 and 6-2 respectively previously.

They now go onto host Pontypridd Town at Maes Tegid on Saturday (2.30pm ko).