MORE than 100 people were rescued from the sandbanks in Denbighshire after becoming stranded by the tide. 

The incident happened on Saturday, September 9. RNLI Rhyl attended as well as coastguard volunteers. 

A spokesperson for Rhyl Lifeboat said: "Saturday turned out to be a very hectic day. RNLI and local coastguard volunteers were involved in the recovery of over 100 people from the sandbanks at Rhyl, trapped by the incoming tide, with deep gullies forming behind.

Denbighshire Free Press: More than 100 people were assisted by RNLI crews and coastguard volunteersMore than 100 people were assisted by RNLI crews and coastguard volunteers (Image: RNLI/Paul Frost)

"From 4.05pm to 5.30pm, over 100 plus people were assisted or taken on the inshore lifeboat back to shore, whilst the remaining crew took the station Landrover on to the beach to warn others and shepherd people back to safety."

Coxswain Martin Jones said: "We are glad the station volunteers, together with coastguard volunteers, were able to assist so many people without serious injury to those rescued.

Denbighshire Free Press: Person with broken ankle on Rhyl inshore lifeboatPerson with broken ankle on Rhyl inshore lifeboat (Image: RNLI Rhyl)

"It certainly has been a very busy weekend. We are constantly saying that people are free to enjoy our glorious beaches but must be cautious about the incoming tide.

"Always look back to check if you are in danger of being cut off."

The crews of both Rhyl's lifeboats were also called out to people being cut off by the tide on Wednesday (September 6). As the crew were changing, the boat was stood down as people waded ashore. 

On Thursday (September 7), at 6pm, the crew were tasked to a kayaker off Pensarn, Abergele, reported to be in difficulty. 


On Friday (September 8) at 2.07pm, both boats were launched to assist coastguards in recovering a person from Prestatyn Ffrith beach who had a broken ankle. Access to the spot was not possible.

A spokesperson for Rhyl Lifeboat said: "The casualty was put in a stretcher and transferred to the all-weather lifeboat by the inshore boat. The person was safely taken to the lifeboat station and on to hospital."

Denbighshire Free Press: Yacht starting to tow off AbergeleYacht starting to tow off Abergele (Image: RNLI Rhyl)

Also on the Friday, at 9.30pm, both boats were launched to locate and recover a yacht with engine failure and 'failed sails' about six miles off Pensarn.

The spokesperson added: "The all-weather lifeboat found the vessel and towed the craft and occupants to Rhyl harbour, where the inshore lifeboat took over the tow to secure the yacht on the harbour jetty."