MOUNTAIN RESCUE team members stepped into save a group of friends who thought they were 'destined for death' in Eryri.

The incident took place on Glyder Fach on Saturday, March 2, according to the Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Organisation (OVMRO).

On that day, a group of five friends had decided to climbed Tryfan before continuing on up Bristly Ridge and onto Glyder Fach.

Disorientated in the cloud, they "Turned right, downhill" in an attempt to descend, but ended up going down a graded climb, and - with one of the group sustaining an injured knee - they became stuck on the main face.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency R936 was called but low cloud meant they couldn't see the group.

An OVMRO hill party was then flown to cloud base and walked in with rescue equipment.

In the meantime, three members of the group managed to climb back up and were helped down by a passing group.

A case of old fashioned "Follow the footprints in the snow" for the team led down into the gully, where one of the pair had climbed up to meet them.

He was given micro spikes, warm clothing and led down to base and the injured party was accessed by rope, treated, and given warm clothing, before being helped to the top and walked off.

An OVMRO statement read: "There are many factors contributing to this epic, before heading out, think #BeAdventureSmart , do you have the right kit for the conditions, have you considered your route, the weather, and contingencies in case of an unplanned stop?"

One of the friends allowed OVMRO to share their experiences via social media.

He said that he believed that the group was 'destined for death' during the incident.

The man, who remained anonymous, added: "We had the call to say the rescue team were near the summit and on their way, but couldn't find us.

"So I had to climb up in the pitch black and heavy snow fall. After climbing and shouting for 20 minutes and hearing no replies I actually believed this was the end.

"If I didn't find them in the next 10 minutes, we wouldn't have made it. But, I carried on and kept going."

He added: "It was an unbelievably close call and one hell of an experience. Just thankful that Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Organisation were there to save the day.

"What these guys do is incredible and I can't thank them enough."

The man says he has donated £100 to the OVMRO, who are a charity and rely on donations to keep them going.