THIS week’s Nostalgia takes a look at a popular former theatre along the Rhyl promenade.

The Coliseum Theatre was an important hub of entertainment in Rhyl for more than 50 years, and started out as an open-air theatre.

Opened in 1922 by W J Churchill with his show 'The Churchill's Jolly Boys', the theatre became a favourite for its comic sketches, singalongs and performances.

The theatre was roofed over in the 1960s, and soon hosted stage shows, pantomimes, wrestling, ice skating and the Paul Coates Saturday shows.

MORE: Readers share their memories of Woolworths in Rhyl

Jack Billing was lessee and manager of the Coliseum Theatre Rhyl for several years, producing 16-week summer shows.

Aubrey Phillips later took over the theatre, which was once one of four pavilions on the promenade – along with the Pavilion, Gaiety and the Queens.

The Coliseum’s final show was A Christmas Carol, before it closed in 1998 and was subsequently demolished.