THE first Saturday in September saw the sun and warm weather come out for Corwen’s first ever Mike Beech Memorial Trophy tie, in which they had been drawn alongside Caerwys and Wrexham-based Skippy in Group B.

The opening tie of the group saw Corwen host newly formed Skippy FC, who play in the tier below Corwen.

The opening goal of the game came in the tenth minute, when a corner was whipped into the Skippy box, where at the far post Leslie Brophy headed the ball back where it came from an in at the opposite post.

A couple of minutes later Alex Webster went for goal from a free kick, which went narrowly wide of the target.

Corwen were two goals to the good in the ninetieth minute, when Tom Williams collected the ball at ran at the Skippy goal and when he got within firing range he curled the ball beyond goalkeeper Stephen Jones.

Corwen versus Skippy FC.

Corwen versus Skippy FC.

It was three-nil when Owen Cordiner found some space in the penalty area and found the back of the net with a fine finish.

Just after the half-hour mark Scott Evans saw his shot rebound into the path of Owen Cordiner, who made no mistake as he knocked the ball home to make it four-nil.

A minute later the visitors lost the ball, which lead to Tom Williams finding yards of space in the penalty area, which enabled him to slot the ball home for his second goal of the afternoon.

After this the floodgates really opened, as Corwen added five goals in ten minutes, with Tom Williams and Owen Cordiner completing their hat-tricks, Alex Webster getting a couple and Scott Evans finding the back of the net to take Corwen into double figures before the break.

Corwen did not let up, as in the opening stages of the second half goalkeeper Evan Parry launched a goal kick forward, which eventually saw the ball collected by Kieran Smith, who played in Scott Evans, who saw his shot saved by Stephen Jones.

Corwen would score ten more goals before the final whistle.

Corwen versus Skippy FC.

Corwen versus Skippy FC.

Corwen made it eleven when they won the ball back after Skippy took a throw in deep in the Corwen half, sparking a counter attack and the ball being played onto Henry Evans, who got through on goal and slotted the ball home.

Ten minutes into the second half Corwen won the ball back from their visitors, leading to Scott Evans playing the ball to substitute Benjamin-Wilson Davies, who placed the ball into the far corner of the net with his first touch since taking to the field.

It was a baker’s dozen for Corwen when Tom Williams placed his fourth goal of the day home.

With sixty-two minutes played there was a third Corwen player making a bid for the match-ball, as Alex Webster completed his hat-trick.

Three minutes later a second Corwen substitute found the back of the net, as Tom Williams played in Isaac Rasell-Edwards, who found Corwen’s fifteenth goal with a brilliant finish.

It was seventeen-nil after two goals in a minute, firstly Scott Evans curled the ball home from the edge of the box, and secondly when Tom Williams grabbed his fifth.

Scott Evans tried to complete his hat-trick from a free-kick, which went up and over the wall, but turned out to be catching practice for Stephen Jones.

With sixteen minutes to play Stephen Jones was able to pull off a save, but he saw the ball rebound fall into the path of Tom Williams, who completed his double hat-trick with a fine finish.

Only a minute later Corwen had the opportunity to add a nineteenth goal as they were awarded a penalty. Substitute Mathew Williams was given the responsibility from twelve yards and despite Stephen Jones diving the correct way he was helpless, as the ball nestled into the top corner.

A minute or so later Henry Evans tried to make it twenty goals, but he sent his Hollywood shot high and wide of the target.

The visitors were given the opportunity to launch the ball into the Corwen penalty area as they were awarded a free kick near the touchline in the Corwen half; however Adam Hughes could only place the ball above and beyond everyone and out for a goal kick.

As the game entered the final ten minutes Tom Williams played a great cross into the path of Henry Evans, who sent his header tamely wide of the post.

Two minutes from time Corwen put together a series of short passes and a great move bore fruit when Alex Webster played the ball to Isaac Rasell-Edwards, who fired the ball home to make it twenty-nil.

In the final minutes of the game, from the kick off following the 20th Corwen goal scored by Isaac Rasell-Edwards, an eagle eyed Bobby Gregory spotted Evan Parry off his line and launched a shot at goal from the centre circle.

From the resulting corner Corwen hit Skippy on the counter attack and the move came to fruition when Scott Evans became the fourth member of the hat-trick club, as his shot curled in via the post and made the final score Corwen twenty-one Skippy nil.