DENBIGH Town Ladies have secured the runners-up spot in the North Wales Women’s Football League East with a superb 3-2 win over Welshpool.

In a fiery encounter at Central Park, goals from Natalie Harrison, Catrin Davies and Ceri Purvis secured the three vital points that snatched 2nd in the table with a game to spare.

Welshpool, a much-changed outfit than the side well beaten in the reverse fixture started well and put Town under significant pressure in the early stages, though ‘keeper Young was rarely tested.


Sir Keir Starmer and Vaughan Gething to visit North Wales

Trader of the Week: Barber shop launches new subscription model!

Scrapping of blue wheelie bin in Denbighshire labelled ‘a disaster'

The best chance in the early goings fell to Ceri Purvis, as a cross from the left from Catrin Davies found it’s way to the feet of the veteran forward, but she couldn’t keep her effort down as it sailed harmlessly over the bar.

Eventually, on the half-hour mark the deadlock was broken, as Welshpool continued to turn the screw. After a half clearance fell to Lucie Gwilt to the left of the box 20 yards out, her effort flew over the head of the keeper to give the mid-Wales side the lead.

However, the advantage lasted less than two minutes. Harrison had been introduced just seven minutes earlier for Tia Adler who was forced off through injury, and the forward was set through running half the pitch before slotting home past Sarah Parkes.

Both sides continued to hunt for the game’s third goal and Harrison thought she had it just before the break but Parkes rushed out well to deny her a second before going in for half-time.

With the game in the balance, it was always going to take one of these sides grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck, and so within three minutes, it became clear who that side was.

Catrin Davies made inroads down the left channel before swinging the ball in and a deflection took the ball away from the path of the goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

Not keen to rest on the slender lead, Town continued to put the pressure on and Sophie Bancroft’s cross found the head of Harrison who’s effort was gathered.

However, on 57 minutes the lead was doubled. Purvis was in the right place at the right time to head home a cross from Lowri Claybrook to give Town some breathing space

In a face paced start to the half Welshpool quickly got back into it, as a sensational strike from Beth Lane from 30 yards sailed into the top corner.

Now suddenly Town had to cling onto a slight advantage, and looked to add to it via a plethora of chances.

First, Harrison saw the ball drop to her on the edge of the box before dragging wide, whilst Davies also latched on to a Purvis pass on the left but the keeper stood firm to deny the shot at her near post.

The best chance for Denbigh to seal the game came with five minutes to spare, as Harrison pulled the ball back across the face of goal and somehow substitute Charlotte Cooper put it wide from just a few yards out.

Not to matter, Town clung on in the dying stages to secure the runners-up spot in the NWWFL East in a tremendous campaign for Ellen Lawson’s side.

They next face Berriew away from home in the final game of the league season before facing Llangefni Town in the Quarter-Final of the Betty Pickering Cup.