FOUR-MIDABLE Bala Town are into the last-eight of the JD Welsh Cup.

However, they were made to work hard in last Saturday's fourth round encounter at lower league Haverfordwest County before making progress.

At an extremely breezy Haverfordwest, it took 120 minutes for Colin Caton's charges to overcome their Welsh League hosts and dodge a potential banana skin.

Credit goes to the Bluebirds, who from the outset were well set up, difficult to break down and a threat on the counter attack.

The tie was very open in the first half-an-hour, with both teams seeing plenty of the ball and playing fast football on the tricky surface.

Sean Smith was on the end of Andy Burns’ whipping delivery, prior to Mike Hayes placing the ball inches wide of the upright from close range after Henry Jones’ strong ball into the area.

After Danny Williams' effort went wide for County, home keeper Stuart was called into action to save Chris Venables diving header.

Stuart denied Kieran Smith and Steven Tames as the half progressed, while Smith and Mike Hayes were off target from decent chances.

Haverfordwest came more into the tie in the second half.

Town number one Ashley Morris made an excellent stop with his feet at near post, while Venables and Burns were involved in a double block minutes later.

At the other end, Venables’ corner was pulled agonisingly wide of the post.

There was plenty of action for the Lakesiders, with Hayes' strike from 10 yards being blocked and Anthony Miley’s follow-up was hacked off the line.

However, no goals were forthcoming and the tie went into extra time.

With the weather turning worse and fitness taking its toll on the home side, Town took full advantage.

Five minutes into the extra period and Bala had a great chance to finally take the lead.

A hand ball offence resulted in a penalty award and Steve Tames confidently slotted the spot kick into the right hand side of the goal.

This was exactly what Town needed and the goals then came flooding in.

In the 97th minute, Bala doubled their advantage as Henry Jones rocketed the ball into the roof of the net from 15 yards.

It was 3-0 just four minutes later when Venables slotted in at the back post to conclude a great move.

Then, on the half-time whistle, Kieran Smith dispatched Town’s fourth goal.

The second portion of extra time saw plenty of tired legs out on the pitch, with the tie going through the motions as it came to an end.