PAT Hinchcliffe and Mark Roberts grabbed the goals as Denbigh Town secured a vital weekend win.

Town returned to winning ways in the Huws Gray Alliance with a crucial and deserved triumph at Penrhyncoch.

Denbigh welcomed Kristian Pierce back to their ranks following his transfer from Rhyl and he took his place in the starting line-up.

Elsewhere, young Scott McHarrie returned to the team following suspension.

Curtis Langton also returned to the heart of the defence alongside captain Tony Davies, with Stuart Vernon coming in at right back.

The game started in appalling conditions, courtesy of torrential rain and a strong wind.

Denbigh had the first chance on five minutes via a goalmouth scramble, with Mark Roberts and Kristian Pierce threatening before the defence cleared.

The hosts had a great chance themselves when Jon Evans sent in a low ball from the right across the Denbigh goal, but there was no Penrhyncoch player that was able to capitalise.

Minutes later and the hosts threatened again when John Foligno's header from six yards went straight at keeper Craig Vernon.

With conditions making the pitch heavy, tackles were coming in thick and fast.

Denbigh won a free kick and Lewis Sirrell's looping delivery found Mark Roberts, whose shot looked to be blocked by an arm.

However, appeals for a penalty were waved away.

Late in the first half, Curtis Langton's superb ball found Kristian Pierce, who went around keeper Jenkins, but the Denbigh player couldn't recover after slightly losing his balance and the danger was snuffed out.

The second half started with both teams having chances.

Jack Rimmer had a golden opportunity for the Roosters, but his shot was off target, while Mark Roberts' effort at the other end was comfortably saved.

Denbigh went close to edging in front when Sam Downey's low shot hit the post and then it was Penrhyncoch's turn to threaten, with Luke Sherbon's shot being cleared off the line.

Town responded and they took the lead on 59 minutes.

Pat Hinchcliffe unleashed a screamer of a shot from a tight angle into the net.

Just five minutes later and Denbigh were celebrating again.

Kristian Pierce's shot was blocked by Jenkins and the rebound fell to Mark Roberts, whose low shot from 12 yards out found the back of the net.

Now Denbigh enjoyed the more of the possession as the two-goal cushion give them more time and composure on the ball in difficult conditions.

Town remained comfortable until the 91st minute, when the hosts pulled a goal back.

Steff Evans knocked the ball down for Jon Evans to place an effort wide of Craig Vernon and into the net.

Following this setback, Denbigh were able to play the remainder of the game out and they came away with three valuable points.