DETERMINED Dinbych secured a vital five-try bonus point victory in their Division One (North) basement battle with fellow strugglers Mold.

The success came mainly as a result of their excellent defensive display.

Mold had much more possession and territory as they went through many phases of play, but they were continually thwarted by Dinbych's aggressive tackling.

In contrast, Dinbych were far more incisive in attack with their limited opportunities, with all five tries being scored from long distance and mainly from counter-attacks.

Mold played with the strong wind blowing straight down the pitch in their favour in the first half and they were soon stringing together a series of combined attacks.

However, they were unable to break through Dinbych's watertight defence, in which lock John Winning typified the forwards' defence at or near the breakdowns, while the line speed of the midfield backs further disrupted Mold's attacking intents.

The hosts did eventually take the lead with a penalty midway through the half when Dinbych offended at a scrum 15 metres out.

Dinbych replied 10 minutes later when full back Gruff Roberts counter attacked from halfway.

Wing Aidyn Jones carried on the break, before centre Tom Seddon kicked ahead and won the race to touch down near the corner for an unconverted try.

Mold continued to press deep in the Dinbych half, but apart from their tackling, Dinbych's solid scrum and breaks from the base by number eight Robin Williams helped to relieve the pressure.

Dinbych then increased their lead in the last minute of the half when a Mold attack broke down in the corner just short of Dinbych's goal line.

Prop Ben Jackson picked up the loose ball and fed Gruff Roberts, who then ran the length of the pitch down the touchline, beating several covering defenders before rounding to score a superb solo try under the posts, leaving an easy conversion for outside half Garin Roberts.

Trailing 12-3 and now facing the wind, Mold still continued to dominate both territory and possession after the break.

Despite going through multiple phases of play, they were unable to make much headway apart from a few driving mauls.

Dinbych continued to punish any breakdowns with their counter attacking play and they soon increased their lead when Garin Roberts' probing diagonal kick from halfway was picked up by Jordan Wynne, who then swapped passes with Aidyn Jones to go over in the corner for a try converted with an excellent kick by Roberts.

The visitors went further ahead via a Garin Roberts penalty from 35 metres when Mold were penalised for a high tackle.

Replacement lock Niall Duke then scored Dinbych's bonus point try as he ran in from halfway after intercepting a Mold pass.

Garin Roberts again converted.

Dinbych closed the scoring just before the final whistle as they again counter attacked from their own half.

Gruff Roberts and Garin Roberts combining well down the right hand touch before Tom Seddon went over in the corner for his second unconverted try.