IT'S been a real season of two halves for Ysceifiog.

No wins in their first eight matches pointed at a lowly finish for the Flintshire side.

However, they have ended the campaign in brilliant fashion and a run of nine wins in 12 games saw Ysceifiog go extremely close to securing a top-six finish.

Ysceifiog were targeting a fourth win in a row when they headed to Rhewl for their final league game of the season.

However, they had to work hard to achieve their success following a brilliant start to the evening from Sion Roberts' side.

Eventually, goals from Marcus Penrhyn-Jones, Tom Cumming, Tom Carney and Tom Jones did the trick for the visiting side.

The hosts went in front inside two minutes.

Harri Owen was given plenty of space in the box and he slotted home from the left side of the area to make it 1-0.


Dyfan Lloyd makes it 2-0 to Rhewl.


Turning defence into a swift attack then saw Rhewl double their advantage in the fourth minute.

After successfully defending a free kick, Rhewl got the ball to Theo Woolford-Dyer, who sent it forward over the Ysceifiog defence.

Dyfan Lloyd raced on to it and without breaking stride, he lifted a terrific 25-yard lob over the head of the Ysceifiog number one to make it 2-0.

The visitors responded in fine fashion and after the ball came back off the crossbar, they pulled one back in the ninth minute.

The goal-den nature of the evening continued in the 19th minute.

Marcus Penrhyn-Jones let fly with a fine effort from 25 yards that found the top corner of the net to make it two-apiece.


Marcus Penrhyn-Jones makes it 2-2.


The remainder of the first half saw Ysceifiog on the front foot and the bad start was forgotten when they took the lead in the 27th minute.

Further opportunities arrived for the side in yellow, with Tom Cumming having a goal chalked off for offside, while the same player hit the woodwork from close range.

At the other end, Harri Owen was not too far off target with his attempt from the edge of the area, while Dyfan Lloyd forced the visiting keeper into a scrambled save following another swift Rhewl break.

Another goal did arrive before the break and it was Ysceifiog who were celebrating their fourth goal right on the stroke of half-time.


Ysceifiog grab their fourth goal right on half-time.


There were further opportunities when the second half came about, although there were no more goals.

Rhewl keeper Dave Carroll was forced into a diving save to keep out an effort from distance, while he could only look on as Matty Palin's brilliant curling effort from the edge of the area crashed against the post.

Stuart Griffiths threatened with a strike from 25 yards for the hosts that was gathered at the second attempt.