A LAST minute goal cruelly ended Denbigh Town's unbeaten start to the campaign.

Something had to give as Town travelled to Holyhead Hotspur on Saturday, with both sides having 100 per cent winning records in Division One of the Lock Stock Welsh Alliance.

After going behind early stages in the second half, Town equalised through Mark Roberts on 62 minutes and the game looked to be be heading for a draw.

That is until Hotspur’s Sam Ashworth broke behind the Denbigh defence to the by line and laid a ball across goal for Chris Jones to fire home a dramatic winner.

Denbigh manager Dewi Llion chose an unchanged team after the midweek win against Llanrwst as Town looked to stretch their victorious run to five games and keep their position as league leaders.

On a warm afternoon, Denbigh played into the strong sun in the first half and the hosts had the first chance when Chris Jones' weak shot was safely caught by keeper Antoni Jan Sarnowski.

Mark Roberts then had Denbigh’s first chance from a free kick just outside Holyhead’s box, which keeper Jones was able to smother safely.

Holyhead had more possession in the opening half, with Denbigh prepared to sit deep and break on the counter attack.

The hosts had a chance from a quick break, with Harrison Lewis’ shot going well over the bar.

Town responded with Sam Tate's corner finding an unmarked John Terry, whose powerful header was just over the bar.

Half-time saw Holyhead bring on two substitutes in Dan McGuiness and Deian Parry and this worked to their favour when they took the lead on 53 minutes.

Sam Ashworth broke down the right flank and evaded tackles to place the ball beyond the oncoming Sarnowski.

Denbigh responded well and they equalised within 10 minutes.

Stuart Vernon's free kick found Mark Roberts at the back post and he was able to knock the ball in off his shoulder.

As the game progressed into its final stages, both teams had chances to win it.

Kenleigh Owen beat a Denbigh challenge and crossed, only for Chris Jones to fire well over the bar.

At the other end, Billy Holmes was put through by Mark Roberts and his low shot was well saved by Carl Jones.

Minutes later and Denbigh threatened again with Stuart Vernon crossing and Jake Walker’s header went just wide of the target.

With only two minutes left, Walker had a well struck shot from 18 yards which was well saved by Jones.

And then came that final move, when Holyhead broke with Sam Ashworth making headway to the Denbigh goal-line.

He laid a ball for the incoming Chris Jones to fire in the winner. Seconds later and the game was over, with Holyhead claiming the three points.