IT was Caernarfon who edged a closely contested encounter at Dinbych.

A late rally by Dinbych brought them to within a point of the visitors, but they just failed to secure a losing bonus point with Caernarfon's last score late in the game giving them a try bonus point instead.

Dinbych started well, but it was the visitors who took the lead in the seventh minute when outside half Aled Jones kicked a penalty downwind from 38 metres when the hosts were caught offside.

Dinbych then had another good attacking period, only for Caernarfon to counter-attack when a home attack broke down.

After a fly hack down the middle, Caernarfon regained possession and good support play allowed prop Armando Morgan to go over for an unconverted try.

The visitors increased their lead midway through the half when they attacked down the left and then recycled infield for full back Jack McGruffi to beat several defenders to go over for a try, converted by Aled Jones.

Dinbych replied towards the end of the half with an unconverted try by left wing Huw Mars Jones, set up by a fierce sustained driving maul by the forwards from a lineout from outside the 22 which took play close to the visitors' line.

Leading 15-5 at the interval, Caernarfon went further ahead three minutes into the second half when they turned the ball over just outside the Dinbych 22.

Swift handling created an overlap for left wing Ifan Edwards to go over in the corner for an unconverted try.

Dinbych hit back quickly through their forwards via a couple of driving mauls from a short-range lineout, with replacement hooker Harry Collins going over for a try near the corner, which was converted with a well judged kick by full back Gruff Roberts.

Dinbych were now dominating play and they pulled to within a point with an excellent try, initiated by a strong burst from number eight Robin Williams into the visitors' 22 to set up a maul after rescuing the ball from a retreating scrum.

Harry Collins then drove forward to set up another maul close to the line. The ball was then recycled to the backs, with a long pass by outside half Mat Hulse allowing Aidyn Jones to send Huw Mars Jones over for his second try near the corner, which was again converted by Gruff Roberts.

Now just a point behind and gaining momentum, Dinbych attacked strongly close to the Caernarfon line, but they were kept out by a strong defensive effort.

Caernarfon were then able to raise the siege and they made the game safe when Aled Jones broke through following a short-range lineout to score his side's bonus point try at the posts, which he then converted.

Despite a number of attacks deep into the Caernarfon 22 in the final 10 minutes, Dinbych were unable to breach a strong Caernarfon defence leaving them without even a losing bonus point to show for their determined efforts.