IT was always going to be a tough weekend for Corwen.

The War Memorial Park side made the trip to Bastion Gardens to tackle JD Cymru North leaders Prestatyn Town.

Early on in the game, a corner was played into the Corwen box, where a Prestatyn player was waiting to head the ball home, but Harry Pooler cleared it over the bar.

With 14 minutes on the clock, a free kick from Robert Hughes was played into the box, where it was knocked back, but only as far as a Prestatyn player and his punt at goal went wide of the target.

Two minutes later and the home side were awarded a penalty when goalkeeper Dylan Jones brought down a Prestatyn player in the box.

Robert Hughes stepped up to take the spot kick and he sent Jones the wrong way to break the deadlock.

The next chance for the hosts came from a close range header, which Dylan Jones was able to get his fingertips to.

Alex Jones was waiting to collect the rebound, but Harry Pooler made the clearance.

At the other end, Corwen were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position and Scott Evans attempt forced a good save out of goalkeeper Jonathan Rushton, who tipped the ball over the bar.

Prestatyn threatened again in the 36th minute and Daniel Davies' header went narrowly wide.

Just before the break there was some good up play from the visitors and Scott Evans' shot was blocked.

Prestatyn extended their lead early in the second half.

Robert Hughes brushed off a number of challenges and from just inside the box, he fired into the far corner of the net for his second goal of the afternoon.

It could have been 3-0 from a Kai Edwards corner, which curled towards the near post, but it was blocked on the line by Adam Williams.

With an hour played, Prestatyn put together a series of short passes, with the final one being collected by Robert Hughes in the penalty area.

He completed his hat-trick with a good finish into the far corner of the net.

The next goalscoring opportunity fell to the away side, as they hit the Seasiders on the counter attack.

Joe Williams gave the ball to Tom Williams, whose angled shot went narrowly wide of the far post.

It was Robert Hughes' day, though, and he brilliantly curled in a free kick for his fourth goal of the contest.

Corwen refused to throw in the towel and two minutes later, the visitors attacked with a quick move.

The ball collected by Dale Davies in space and he found the back of the net with some venom.