DETERMINED Dinbych had to work hard to secure a bonus point victory over fellow strugglers Dolgellau in this vital Division One (North) basement battle.

Although the hosts dominated territorially for much of the encounter, Dolgellau competed well for possession throughout and they took their limited chances well at the end of the first half to give them the lead at the interval.

The home side had the better start and they went close several times before opening the scoring in the 10th minute after the forwards turned the ball over at a ruck just inside the Dinbych half.

Centre Aidyn Jones used the recycled possession to cut through almost to the line, with Garin Roberts in support to put right wing Kieran Bonar over in the corner for an unconverted try.

Dinbych then went further ahead midway through the half when scrum half Garin Roberts sniped over for an unconverted try from a short-range ruck after a period of heavy pressure near the Dolgellau line.

However, Dolgellau reduced the deficit with their first foray into the Dinbych 22 just five minutes before the interval.

Flanker Peter Blake went over for a try from a short-range ruck, with centre Gwion Jones adding the conversion points.

Dinbych responded with a surging run down the middle from halfway by prop Joe Davies taking play into the Dolgellau 22.

The ball was quickly recycled to the backs on the right, only for visiting outside half Jack Roberts to intercept and run three-quarters of the pitch to cross for a try in the corner.

Gwion Jones converted with an excellent kick from the touchline to give the visitors an unexpected 14-10 lead at half-time.

Despite this setback, Dinbych started the second half well and they could have scored in the opening minutes, only to be denied when lock Narmer El Lamie lost possession as he went over the line in the right hand corner. Dinbych were not going to be denied, though, as they continued to pressurise the visitors in the corner.

Quicksilver replacement scrum half Jamie Winning burst through the defence at a ruck following a short range lineout for an unconverted try to regain the lead for the hosts.

Dinbych then eased further ahead when Garin Roberts, now playing at outside half, kicked a penalty from 35 metres when the visitors offended at a ruck.

Roberts repeated the trick with an identical kick a couple of minutes later.

With a quarter-of-an-hour remaining, it was Dolgellau's turn to reduce the deficit with a penalty from Gwion Jones after Dinbych were caught offside just outside their 22.

This brought the visitors back to within one score of their opponents.

Garin Roberts managed to ease the pressure with his third penalty after the Dolgellau pack illegally wheeled a scrum.

Dolgellau were then denied a losing bonus point via Dinbych's own bonus point try in the dying minutes.

The Mid Walians launched a late attack as they recycled the ball from a breakdown just outside Dinbych's 22, only for centre Tom Seddon to intercept and run three-quarters of the pitch for an unconverted try in a carbon copy of the visitors' first half effort.