IT was honours even in a big Vale of Clwyd clash over the weekend.

St Asaph City played host to Denbighshire rivals Llandyrnog United in their latest Lock Stock Welsh Alliance League Division One encounter.

The Saints only had a point to show from a much-improved display against a side also finding it tough in Division One this season, leaving them in 13th ahead of their trip to free-scoring Llanrwst United on Saturday.

St Asaph manager Daniel Brewerton said: “To be honest the result feels as bad as a loss at the moment.

“Going into the game we knew the importance of getting three points against them as they are one of the teams below us and we needed to open that gap.

“The last thing we wanted was to be in a position where we are looking over our shoulders but that’s where we find ourselves and it’s going to be a real battle for us going forward now.

“I thought we dominated the game and for large periods look comfortable, we took a 1-0 lead in at half time and were unlucky not to have scored a couple more.

“Second half, we were constantly getting into good areas and creating chances, but that second goal just wasn’t coming and with ten minutes to go we’ve made a simple mistake and they’ve managed to nick a goal from it.

“We’ve still had chances after that to win the game, but we just weren’t clinical enough with that final ball.

“We’ve got a massive few weeks ahead of us now, so we have dig deep to find a way of putting some more points on the board.”

Llandyrnog Jimmy McNally felt that a draw was a fair outcome.

He said: "I thought overall we were the better side.

"We didn't create enough chances to win the game so on that basis, the draw was probably a fair result.

"Murray Hughes was outstanding in midfield. He kept the ball well and worked hard.

"Derry Morris skippered the side in the absence of Jack Crompton and himself, Jamie Jones and Russ Moorcroft were a solid outfit at the back.

"Josh Griffiths and Mikey Guest worked their defence well and the pace between them was electric."

The home side took a lead into the break when Luke Wandless hit the target on 39 minutes, but they failed to make the most of the opportunities that came their way in the second period.

Back came United in the 82nd minute when they bagged a leveller.

A pair of substitutes combined for this key goal, with Ian Williams setting up Ross Gilbert for his screamer.

A fracas in the final five minutes saw a player from each side being sent off.