BALA TOWN'S 2-2 draw with The New Saints (TNS) yesterday evening could be replayed due to a floodlight failure which led to the game being abandoned late on.

The huge JD Cymru Premier fixture, between two sides who will no doubt be challenging for the title this season, had reached the 87th minute before some of the floodlights in the ground failed.

Despite minutes of trying to get them back on, the game was eventually abandoned and both sides now await to hear whether or not the match will be replayed in future.

Denbighshire Free Press:

Floodlight failure at Maes Tegid. PIC: Brian Jones/TNS FC.

Despite that late disappointment, the fixture at a rainy Maes Tegid was one that really showcased the best of the JD Cymru Premier, with Bala on top for much of it.

The Lakesiders started the game very well, creating chance after chance before a breakthrough came just 17 minutes in.

A great free kick whipped into the box by defender Anthony Stephens caused problems for TNS and, following a mix-up in the box and a goal-line scramble, Bala skipper Chris Venables was on hand to bundle the ball home.

That was the first goal the Saints had conceded this season, in their fourth match. But, just ten minutes later, Scott Ruscoe's side conceded another.

Bala's man of the moment Will Evans was in behind the TNS defence and his ball into the box was turned into his own net by Jon Routledge, who had come on as a substitute early on in place of the injured Danny Redmond.

Some resolute defending towards the end of the first half, from Jonny Spittle in particular who blocked a Leo Smith effort on the goal-line, saw Bala go in 2-0 up and in the driving seat at half time.

But things were to change in the second half as record-breaking 13-time Welsh top flight champions TNS woke up.

And there was a real contender for the 2020/21 goal of the season when Saints midfielder Leo Smith dribbled his way past three Bala players before spotting goalkeeper Alex Ramsay off his line and placing the ball over him and into the net with a wonderful finish to pull the scoreline back to 2-1 just after the hour mark.

It was the second time this season that Ramsay had stood no chance of saving such an effort - with Sameron Singh Dool's late equaliser for champions Connah's Quay in the 1-1 draw with Bala on the opening day being the other which will no doubt be shortlisted for Goal of the Season.

From there on out, TNS looked lively and started to grow in confidence. Ramsay made a great save on 70mins, before Evans did well to keep Kwame Boateng out.

In the final ten minutes, Ryan Astles had a trio of chances, two missed and third going in for the equaliser. On 87mins, just moments before the floodlights failed, he smashed the ball in for 2-2 from close range.

But with the floodlights having failed, the question now remains; has TNS' perfect start to the season (three wins out of three) come to an end? Or will the match be replayed?

It would certainly be a shame for their midfielder Smith also if his top drawer goal is to be erased from the history books.

Colin Caton's Bala, who won this fixture 3-1 last season, will feel hard done by as they once again showed that they can mix it with the best in this division, but just couldn't quite hold on for three points. Although, they may just get another chance to do so.

A decision on the outcome of the match is expected from the Football Association of Wales in the coming days.