LOWER league football returned across North Wales for the first time in around eight months in the form of friendlies on Saturday.

Several clubs across the region returned to the fields as the Football Association of Wales implemented Phase Three of its 'Return to Play' scheme following the Covid-19 pandemic.

However, restrictions remained in place, with each team only being allowed as squad of 15 (including the coaching team) - meaning most had just 12 players to choose from.

Despite this, some cracking matches were played out across Denbighshire.

Denbigh's newest club, Caer Clwyd, were victorious in their first ever match together on Saturday afternoon as they overcame Denbigh Wanderers 4-1 at home.

Led by the management team of Andy Pace, John Wood, Lloyd Hubbard and Keiran Kendrick, the new club put in a fine second half display to secure victory.

Joel Rowlands fired them in front on 13 minutes and they went into the break 1-0 up. However, the Wanderers came flying out of the blocks in the second half as Dewi Jones scored just two minutes after the restart.

Ten minutes later, Caer Clwyd’s lead was restored when player-manager Lloyd Hubbard fired them into the lead once more.It was then three just after the hour mark, Man of the Match Brandon Bright setting up Craig Lavery for his goal. The game was done and dusted when Rowlands added a second goal some seven minutes from time.

Llanelwy played out a 3-3 draw with Kinmel Bay whilst Rhuddlan Town played out a nine-goal thriller v Llandudno Amateurs - but were on the receiving end of a 5-4 loss.

Ryan Potts, Connor Bucknall, Ian Davenport and Harrison Bellis were all on target for the visitors in a very lively contest which saw goals from Mark Kelly, Tod Davis, Stoogie Collins, Ben Hayward and Chris Smyth help the Amateurs on to a win.

St Asaph XI were beaten 5-1 at home by Meliden and newly-formed Prestatyn Sports Development came out on top 3-1 against Rhyl Dragons.

An Archie Jones penalty put them ahead at half time before the Dragons equalised early on in the second half. A 30-yarder from Lee Beattie and a Steve Gilmour free-kick secured the victory for Sports in the end.

Denbighshire Free Press:

PIC: Bary Griffiths.

Kinmel Bay Reserves lost out 5-3 at home to Penmaenmawr Phoenix Reserves (above). Chris Buchanan (2) and Jordan guest were on target for the home side but Harry Benjamin (2), Haydn Tidswell (2) and Darren Hughes ensured victory for the visitors.

CPD Y Rhyl 1879 also defeated in their first ever match at the Belle Vue, losing 1-0 to St Asaph City thanks to a goal from Josh Brown.