BALA Town returned to action following a 13-day break by beating Newtown for a second time in the JD Cymru Premier 2020/21 season.

The Lakesiders had faced Covid-19 issues leading up to the fixture, with their previous scheduled match against Aberystwyth Town having to be postponed.

But the match v Newtown, who they had beat 2-0 in mid-October, went ahead at Maes Tegid on Friday evening after a decision to force the club to self-isolate was overturned due to evidence being presented to the league. It resulted in a 3-1 win for Bala.

Manager Colin Caton made just two changes to the side that beat Penybont 4-1 in the club's previous fixture, as Antony Kay returned from suspension and Lassana Mendes also made the starting eleven, with Liam Davies and Steve Leslie dropped to the bench.

There was, however, a new but at the same time old and familiar face on the bench for Bala on Friday, as new signing Gary Roberts returned to the Lakesiders after 16 years away playing at other Welsh club and also the English Football League.

Despite the fast start to Friday's match, no clear cut chances were being made, and there was little to comment on until the 17th minute. That was when Henry Jones did well down the right hand side, and was able to cut the ball back to Ollie Shannon, whose shot was deflected and the visitors were able to clear.

Newtown started the game brightly, with some good passing in the middle of the park, but the final ball was lacking with Bala defenders able to retain the ball each and every time.

The breakthrough was made on the half hour mark. Some brilliant work from Mendes, who beat his man before laying the ball through into Will Evans, created the chance for the latter who coolly placed the ball in the bottom left corner for 1-0.

Denbighshire Free Press:

Evans was on fire once more. PIC: Bala Town FC.

From there on out midfielder Evans, who moved to Bala from Cardiff Met Uni in the summer, took the game by the scruff of the neck and went on the hunt for another goal.

Antony Kay came close to doubling the Lakesiders’ lead, however his half volley from about 20 yards out went just wide of the post.

But sure enough, with just seconds of the first half left to play, Evans found another goal. Mendes was again the creator as he found Evans free in space, who then turned and hit a wonderful curling shot in to the top corner, giving the keeper no chance.

That was the hard-working midfielder's ninth goal of the season in what has been a formidable start to life at Maes Tegid for him.

As the second half got underway, there was some more good play down the right hand side from the Lakesiders, but this time Shannon couldn’t direct his cross towards the danger area, as the ball went out for a goal kick.

Newtown still showed good attacking play late in the game and with 10 minutes left, Gary Roberts would make his second debut for the club, as he replaced Henry Jones.

Within seconds of coming on, Roberts was straight into the action, as he received the ball and attempted to curl it into the far corner, but his effort was saved.

Mendes would then come off for Steve Leslie with 5 minutes to go, before Newtown grabbed a goal back with seconds of normal time to go, as Matthew Williams hit home from a cutback.

But despite late pressure from the visitors, super-sub Leslie would go on to seal the win for Bala. Captain Chris Venables broke away, leading a 3 on 2 attack and played in Leslie who hit a low strike into the bottom corner.