A SECOND half fightback denied Bala Town a return to winning ways in the Cymru Premier League over the weekend.

The Lakesiders looked well set for the three points when they held a 3-1 advantage at home to Barry Town United at the interval.

However, two goals from the South Walians after the break made sure it finished up three-apiece.

Compounding a bad day for the hosts, Lassana Mendes was red-carded towards the end of the encounter.

Colin Caton's charges were hoping for better fortune in knockout action last night (Tuesday).

Bala hosted Newtown in the Welsh League Cup, with a place in the last-four at stake.

Elsewhere in the quarter-finals, Holywell Town went to Connah's Quay Nomads, Barry Town United hosted Pontypridd Town and Cardiff Met paid a visit to Haverfordwest County.

Turning back to Saturday's action and Bala made a bright start to the contest.

They took the lead after 19 minutes, with Sean Smith finding Lassana Mendes on the edge of the box and his strike picked out the bottom corner of the net.

It was Mendes at the double as the Lakesiders stretched their lead five minutes later.

He found the same corner of the net for his brace.

However, it was by no means all one-way traffic and Callum Sainty's goal gave Barry some renewed hope nine minutes shy of the interval.

Bala would regain their two-goal cushion before the break, though, with good work from Paul Rutherford and Brad Bauress giving Dave Edwards the chance to fire in a 40th minute goal.

While the first half belonged to Bala, it was Barry who had the better of things following the interval.

Crucially, the visitors grabbed another goal after an hour, with Rhys Kavanagh's find Kayne McLaggon unmarked to score and it was game on once more.

United then levelled things up with only four minutes remaining.

Lassana Mendes fouled a Barry player in the box, with the referee pointing to the spot.

McLaggon's penalty was saved by Alex Ramsay, but the Barry player was able to put the rebound into the net.

The drama wasn't yet over, with McLaggon forcing a save from Ramsey in the 88th minute, while in stoppage time, Chris Venables put his attempt wide.

Bala were reduced to 10 men in the 92nd minute when Mendes was sent off after picking up a second yellow card.

On Saturday, Bala head south to play Penybont in their next Cymru Premier League fixture.