RGC clinched a semi-final spot in the WRU Premiership Cup thanks to their 35-17 home success over Ebbw Vale.

It was a case of winner-takes-all in Colwyn Bay, on the back of bonus point wins in the pool versus Carmarthen Quins from both sides.

The opening 40 minutes had spells of great attacking rugby from RGC broken up with errors that meant the visitors were allowed to keep the scoreboard ticking over thanks to the boot of Evan Lloyd.

Dan Owen was impressive all game for RGC and he got the opening score from a solid maul attack, but Dion Jones was unable to add the conversion.

Ebbw Vale had the chance to reply, but Lloyd's penalty was nudged wide.

The fly half was on target minutes later with another penalty that sailed between the sticks.

RGC were the ones on the attack and had a three-on-one overlap, but Ebbw Vale knocked on in the tackle when it looked like the Gogs were on for a try opportunity.

Try number two arrived shortly afterwards and when it did it was a superb one.

From the back of a scrum, the ball went from right to left with three paces and Afon Bagshaw ran in to dab down.

Again, Dion Jones was unable to hit the conversion.

Sam Earl-Jones and Afon Bagshaw were dealing with the visitors; high balls, and ran hard to make some big yards through the Ebbw Vale defence.

If RGC supporters thought their side would then push on, it didn’t happen.

They were sharp around the breakdown with Efan Jones setting the tempo, but errors let the Steelmen back in the game.

The RGC defence was working hard and stifling Ebbw Vale, with the returning Sam Williams putting is a big shift.

Ebbw Vale's Lloyd was on target twice as the half went on and they would have been the happier side to go into the break only one point behind without actually threatening the RGC line.

RGC started the second half with great intent and were rewarded when Danny Cross took the ball at pace and ran over to score. Dion Jones hit the conversion.

The ball was being moved well, but the frustration was that RGC were creating chances and finding space, but the final pass was not going to hand.

The boot of Lloyd again kept his side in touching distance with another penalty making this a proper cup tie.

As the game went on, the RGC scrum got stronger with a couple of good shunts, which got the crowd warmed up.

It was from one of the scrums that RGC's next try was created.

The ball found Efan Jones to go in for the score.

Dion Jones' conversion smacked the post.

From the restart, RGC were awarded a penalty and Jones smashed it over from halfway.

The fly-half kept the scoreboard ticking with a drop goal minutes later.

RGC's final try was another classic, starting with a kick from their own half, good phases, and a Dan Owen break with a one-handed offload to a supporting Efan Jones to score. Dion Jones hit the extras.

Ebbw Vale did manage to get over for their only try in the corner but it was the job done for RGC and a semi-final place clinched.

RGC head coach Ceri Jones told the club's website: “Firstly it was a good performance and we were convincing winners and we give our supporters something to look forward to in 2023.

"I thought we had a few standout players today, including Efan Jones and Dan Owen.

"It wasn’t a perfect performance, but I am pleased with how we controlled the momentum and got back on track when we did make errors.

"When you look at our play and how we score tries, they can come from all over – attacking mauls, maul pressure, scrum attacks or pressure and then we explode to life which is the RGC way.

"Psychologically we are getting stronger, and when we do make mistakes we keep to the plan and have trust in the processes which you can see.

"We have plenty of work-ons, and today we needed to respect the ball better and also have a look at our discipline.

"December was always going to be a big month, and it's back to the league with Quins next week and that’s the focus now.”