BRO Gwernant's home Division Three North East clash with Rhosllanerchrugog was a match both clubs had been waiting for - and it certainly didn’t disappoint from an entertainment perspective.

Rhos started the stronger as they got the ball in the forwards and looked to punch their way through Bro’s defence with the big runners in the pack.

It wasn’t long before they were rewarded with a well-worked unconverted try in the corner.

Bro hit back straight away via a penalty from the boot Iestyn Hughes.

With just two points between the teams, Hughes found himself running out of the defensive line and he intercepted a long pass from Rhos.

With the wind behind him, Hughes ran the length of the pitch to score under the posts and convert to give his side the lead.

Both teams wanted to play now and it was turning into an arm wrestle in the middle of the pitch.

Bro looked to get the ball out as much as possibly to their backline, and number eight James Jackson ran a good angle to collect a pass to go over for a try to take Bro's lead up to 17-5 at half time.

Rhos started the second half in similar fashion to the first with some powerfully runs.

Bro Gwernant defended well, but with the pressure building, and continuous infringements, a penalty try was awarded.

With the game opening up, Rhos sustained more pressure on the home defence and scored again in the corner.

Then, with only six minutes remaining, Rhos took the lead for the first time in the match with a converted try.

With time now running out and what seemed a wall of defenders in front of him, Bro scrum half Aled Bates saw a gap to expose and he darted through to dive in under the posts, much to the delight of his teammates who surrounding him as he got back to his feet.

All that was required was for Hughes to add the conversion, which he did, and that sealed a nail-biting end to an enthralling second half of rugby as Bro Gwernant won 27-26.

“We got away with one today," said Bro team manager Huw Evans.

"Our performance levels dropped in the second half, but credit to the Rhos players for fighting back to make a game of it.

"We knew it would be a tough and physical game, and it was exactly that.

"It showed good character from us to keep going until the final whistle and that never give up attitude will only benefit us as we move into our Christmas fixtures.

"It was good to have both Matt Jones and Billy Davies back in the starting team having been out with injuries.”