DINBYCH began their Division One (North) year with a 34-0 home loss to high-flying Pwllheli.

Both teams also had to overcome the difficult playing conditions of a strong wind blowing straight down the pitch with frequent rain showers affecting an already semi-saturated playing surface.

Pwllheli had the first advantage of the wind at their backs and soon made good use of it through astute tactical kicking which kept Dinbych pinned in their own territory for most of the first half.

Although Dinbych competed well in all aspects, the Pwllheli pack edged the set pieces and gained the lion’s share of possession at the breakdown.

As a result, Dinbych spent most of the half on the back foot defending desperately against waves of Pwllheli attacks.

Whilst the collective defence held firm for most of the time individual missed tackles were capitalised on for each of the four first half tries scored by the visitors.

Pwllheli opened the scoring after only five minutes when the forwards developed a driving maul from a short-range lineout for lock Elgan Strain to crash over for a try converted by outside half Naw Williamson.

Dinbych then held out until midway through the half before former Leicester Tigers centre Jack Roberts got possession 30 metres out to break down the right hand touchline beating several defenders before crossing in the corner for an unconverted try.

Dinbych again managed to hold out until the final 10 minutes of the half with good kicking against the wind by full back Dan O’Sullivan and half backs Alex Jones and Robyn Cartwright relieving the constant Pwllheli pressure.

The visitors eventually increased their lead with a second try by Elgan Strain after Dinbych had been forced to restart with a drop kick from their goal line.

His second row partner Osian Humphries then completed the first half scoring with an unconverted try near the corner after breaking from a ruck close to the Dinbych line.

Trailing by 22 points at the interval, Dinbych were handicapped early in the second half as they went down to 14 with a player in the bin for a high tackle.

Pwllheli soon took advantage with flanker Ieuan Williams going over in the corner for an unconverted try after 53 minutes.

Dinbych secured more possession in the second half but their tactical kicking was not as successful as the visitors had been in the first, so were unable to sustain any prolonged territorial pressure.

They showed their character as they attempted to attack from any position but were punished in the 65th minute when a counter attack from under their own posts broke down allowing wing Dave Owen to close the scoring with a try converted by Williamson.

Dinbych 2nds lost 24-0 to Bro Gwernant after holding the visitors to a scoreless first half in this first league encounter between the sides in Division Three North East.