FIELDING one of their stronger teams in a disrupted season, Dinbych gave a much better performance than the final scoreline of 40-13 would suggest at Llangefni.

Dinbych played well against the wind in the first half and crossing for two tries to three by their Anglesey hosts.

In the second half, however, Llangefni used their bulky ball carriers to good effect as they wore down Dinbych’s tiring defence to add a further three tries for a bonus point victory.

There were many good individual performances by Dinbych with flanker Gwern Pierce providing an excellent service in the lineout, with number eight Sean Baker also providing a good supply.

Lock Max Sharples was a strong ball carrier as well as leading the way with some determined tackling.

Henry Maitland Davies gave a man of the match display at scrum half with his clever running always posing a threat to the Llangefni defence.

Llangefni mounted an early period of pressure close to the Dinbych try line, but the hosts were surprised when their opponents scored the opening try when they attacked from a penalty deep in their 22.

Good support work took play up to halfway, where left wing Efan Edwards gained possession to beat several defenders on a searing run for his first try in only his second game in senior rugby.

This spurred Llangefni into action and they soon replied with a try after Dinbych failed to secure a speculative kick into their 22 which was then hacked through leading to a try, with a conversion by Andrew Mcminimee giving them the lead.

The hosts then increased their lead with a try from the forwards who drove over from a short range tap penalty with Mcminimee again adding the conversion points.

Dinbych responded well taking play close to the Llangefni line with Henry Maitland Davies sniping over for an unconverted try from the base of a short range scrum.

As the interval approached, Llangefni went further ahead when they counter-attacked after fielding a kick near halfway.

They then took advantage of some less than secure tackling by the visitors to go over for an unconverted try which left them leading 19-10 at the interval.

Following the break, the first half effort began to take its toll on Dinbych as Llangefni’s bulkier ball carriers began to exploit any tackling lapses with their forwards crossing for their fourth try from short range.

Dinbych replacement Gruff Roberts then gave his side some hope with a penalty after Llangefni had offended just in front of their posts.

Unfortunately for Dinbych, they conceded a try immediately following the restart when a pass was intercepted taking play near to their line with the forwards again forcing their way over the line.

Llangefni closed their scoring in the final minute with another short range try with the Dinbych defence pierced by a crash ball run following a short range scrum.

Mcminimee added the conversion points to all three second half tries.

Llangefni’s try scorers were Greg Horsman (2), Ynyr Jones, Gethyn Andrews, Gareth Jones and Aran Oliver.