BRILLIANT Bala Town have won the Nathaniel MG Cup for the first time in their history.

Cup holders Connah's Quay Nomads were their opponents in Saturday's final at Cefn Druids and it was the Lakesiders who came out on top in a penalty shootout following a 0-0 draw.

The first chance went to Nomads, with Michael Wilde's overhead kick going over the target.

Connah's Quay were forced into an early change, with Aron Williams replacing the injured Danny Holmes, while Bala went so close to claiming the advantage in the 20th minute.

After Ben Nash's pass was intercepted, the ball reached George Newell in the box and his attempt struck the post.

Nomads responded as Aeron Edwards got the ball in the dangerzone and Jack Kenny's flicked header was just wide of the goal.

A pivotal moment came late in the first half as the Lakesiders were reduced to 10 men with the sending off of Lassana Mendes.

In the sixth minute of stoppage time, Wilde had a fine opportunity to break the deadlock, but Alex Ramsay was out quickly to make a crucial save.

Nomads made a bright start to the second period and an audacious long-range attempt from Callum Morris was narrowly over the target.

It was by no means all one-way traffic and Quay keeper Andy Firth was called into action to deny Bala skipper Chris Venables following a quick attack.

The teams made substitutions in an effort to find a breakthrough, with Adam Roscrow replacing Luke Wall for Bala.

For the next portion of the final, it became somewhat cagey.

In a chance for Bala, George Newell's header was collected by Firth.

Nomads made a double substitution to try and force the issue, as youngster Luca Hogan and striker Joe Malkin were introduced in place of Jack Kenny and Aron Williams.

However, Connah's Quay then found themselves down to 10 men with five minutes left.

George Horan's lunge on David Edwards saw the Nomads' skipper receive a red card.

In the final chance, Kieran Smith tried his luck with a volley from the edge of the box, but this went over the top.

So, penalties would be required to decide the cup winners.

After Venables and Callum Morris had tucked away efforts, Bala's hopes were hit when David Edwards' penalty was brilliantly saved by Firth.

However, Quay couldn't take advantage, as Ramsay then saved from Harry Franklin.

Roscrow and John Disney both converted to keep it level.

Antony Kay then blasted his effort into the roof of the net, while Joe Malkin did likewise for Connah's Quay.

It was now 3-3 and effectively sudden death.

Paul Rutherford was next for Bala and he picked out the bottom corner of the net to put his side ahead.

Then, Wilde's penalty was saved by Ramsay, meaning Bala won the cup for the first time in their history.