IT was oh so close for Dinbych in their quest for a first Division One North win of the season.

Despite a continuing improvement in performance, Dinbych were unable to halt their losing sequence as they lost 22-21 to Bethesda in the dying minutes.

Dinbych led 9-5 at the interval, but in a pulsating second half in which the lead changed hands five times, they were denied victory through a late penalty.

The Dinbych forwards went well as a unit using a strong scrum to provide a solid platform for possession, whilst the reappearance of flanker Robin Williams after a long absence gave them a renewed edge to compete at the breakdown.

Centre Dan O’Sullivan stepped up to replace Tom Seddon as captain, leading by example with excellent distribution in attack adding to his excellent kicking and defensive skills.

Dinbych started well and had the better of the opening quarter when they gradually built a lead through three penalties by Dan O’Sullivan as the visitors offended at breakdowns near their 22.

Bethesda came more into the game and reduced the deficit when the hooker went over in the corner for an unconverted try.

Turning to the second half and Bethesda took the lead for the first time when their outside half broke through a number of tackles to cross for a converted try.

Dinbych regained the lead when they ran a quickly taken tap penalty from just outside the Bethesda 22.

O’Sullivan took advantage to send out a long miss-pass to left wing Kieran Bonar who went over in the corner for a try converted by an excellent kick from the touchline by O’Sullivan.

With Dinbych now 16-12 ahead, it was the visitors' turn to take the lead again from a scrum near the Dinbych line.

Despite strong pressure by the home pack, Bethesda managed to rescue possession with the inside backs then taking advantage to pierce the Dinbych defence to score a converted try. Dinbych again responded well attacking down the right touchline for wing Dafydd Pierce Evans hold on to a strong relieving kick and then release number Sean Baker on a run to go over in the corner.

The hosts had a two-point lead, but Bethesda were stronger in the closing minutes and their pressure eventually got its reward when Dinbych were penalised on their 22 for not releasing the ball after a tackle with a successful kick snatching the lead for the final time.