THE treble hopes may be over for Denbigh Town, but they've still got so much to play for this season.

Denbigh's hopes of claiming the FAW Trophy came to an end with a 2-1 loss to Trethomas Bluebirds in the final at Newtown.

However, silverware is still available on two fronts and Denbigh remain in the box seat to claim the Ardal North West League title.

Ben Lockley’s second half header wasn’t enough for Town, as Charlie Loss and Tomas Rutherford secured the honours for the Bluebirds in the opening period.

Trethomas threatened early on as a ball across the face of goal from Andrew Evans whizzed through and wide of Aaron Jones’ goal.

Denbigh responded with their first sight of goal when a lovely threaded ball found Lockley down the right and he squared to captain Paul Fleming, but he failed to hit the target inside the box.

On 22 minutes the deadlock was broken as Town failed to clear their lines.

A loose clearance fell to Rutherford, whose mishit found Loss and he struck an effort low and hard into the bottom corner to give Trethomas the lead.

Nathan Brown tried an audacious chip that sailed just wide of the Bluebirds' goal in an attempt to restore parity and on 38 minutes, Trethomas doubled their lead.

Levi Rees drove the ball across the face of goal for Rutherford to tap home and leave Town with an uphill challenge.

Denbigh knew they had to improve in the second half, with Dewi Llion’s side coming out unchanged.

Immediately, Craig Pritchard tested Gareth Williams in the Bluebirds goal as his shot 19 seconds into the restart was pushed to the goalkeeper’s right.

After constant pressure, Denbigh finally had their goal moments shy of the hour mark.

A corner from Brown was whipped to the far post and Lockley rose above everyone to head home before clattering into the post for the cause.

Denbigh were almost level on 63 minutes as Brown’s effort was tipped away by Williams, and now all the momentum was with the men in red.

Craig Rogers fizzed a ball across goal as Denbigh continued to press and Brown had a free kick parried away by Williams.

With stoppage time about to come into play, Brown had one last opportunity from distance, but his effort was agonisingly wide of the mark and you’d be forgiven for believing it wouldn’t be Denbigh’s day.

Town had one last chance as Lockley tried to carve his name into Town folklore with 94 minutes played, but his shot went well wide.